We survived Hurricane Sandy. I feel like I deserve a badge of some sort...well, not really because where we live did not experience the brunt of the storm; however, so many people were not so lucky.
On Monday we half heartedly made sure to have enough food and water to last us a few days not really thinking this storm would have any force. I was pretty excited since this would be my first Hurricane, along with Hunter's. As the storm approached I anticipated some excitement--maybe the lights would even go out! However, as time wore on we experienced a few strong wind gusts, one that even knocked down a very large branch on a tree outside our window, but it was nothing to write home about.
However, as we glued ourselves to the news it seemed that the rest of the city was not so lucky. The water surge was rising quickly; yet we could have never anticipated the destruction that so many would experience.
The next day we took a walk outside to see the aftermath of the storm in our area--the main devastation were fallen tree branches.
| The East River was higher than normal and we saw some pretty large debris |
All of downtown Manhattan lost power and the surge took everything from people in Queens and Staten Island. It was weird to think that all we experienced were some downed trees; while just a few miles away was utter destruction.

No comments:
Post a Comment