September 29, 2010

Bringing Provo to NYC

New York city has a lot of great food. However, out of ALL the amazing restaurants we have yet to find anything that compares to Cafe Rio's Pork Salad. When we lived in Utah this was a weekly meal—one that we deeply miss.

During the summer my sister, Kim, gave us the recipe to this salad we miss so much. All week Pat has been wanting to make it. To be honest, it seemed like a lot of work and I as a bit skeptical if it would actually taste like the real deal. So on Sunday Pat went to work, while I relaxed.

Let me tell you...the salad tasted exactly like Cafe Rio's! We had the recipe for everything: the pork, the rice, and even their famous house dressing! The recipe made so much that we have been eating every night and still have tons left.

Even though I really wasn't on board I am so glad that I have a chef for a husband.

For those fellow Cafe Rio lovers, here is their "secret" recipe:

Sweet Pork
Pork Roast-6-7 lbs
1 (16 oz) bottle of salsa
1 can coke (it can be decaf)
2 c. brown sugar

Place prk in crock-pot and fill it half way up with water. Cook roast on high for 5 hours. Drain out water. Cut pork in thrids. Mix together ingredients (salsa, coke, brown sugar) and put on top of pork. Cook an additional 3 hours on high. Shred pork with forks. Leave it on low until ready to serve.

Cilantro Lime Rice
2 Tbsp. oil
4 c. long grain rice (6 c. water)
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
juice of 2 limes
2 tsp crushed garlic

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add rice, cilantro, and garlic. saute 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water adn lime juice and bring to boil. Then reduce heate and seimmer until all the liquid is absorbed by the rice (about 20 minutes). Your can also use a rice cooker if you have one.

Tomatillo Ranch Dressing
1 Packet hidden valley ranch buttermilk dressing (can sub dressing mix, milk, and cream for regular size bottle of ranch)
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. mayo or sour cream
2-3 tomatillas (peel off outer leaf/shell)
1 tsp crushed garlic
3/4 bunch fresh cilantro
1 tsp cayenne pepper
juice from 1 lime (about 2 tsp)
salt & pepper

Blend all ingredients in the blender. Refrigerate.

4 comments:

  1. That looks oh so delicious! Now if I could just get my husband to cook it up too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna raved about this. She said it was just like the real thing! I have a few copycat recipes of my own, I will have to try yours and compare! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm. Best dinner I have had since living in NYC. Is that my thumb in the third picture? It looks kind of orange...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...