July 30, 2012

Boston


This past weekend Pat and I decided it was about time that we visited our friends, the Galbraiths, in Boston. The moved there last year so that Johnny could work on the Romney Campaign. I am so glad we planned the trip when we did because just a few days before we came, they decided to make the move to North Carolina in just a few weeks! Johnny and Joanna always have exciting lives and make major life choices within days. They are perfect examples of following your heart and living your dreams. 

I had been trying to figure out where Pat and I could go to "get away." I wanted to go to a beach but decided against it because as much as I love just relaxing and getting a tan ALL DAY, that is some what torturous for Pat. Pat needs action, activities, and more activities.  Boston was the perfect quick little get away. 

I had only been to Boston once when I was about 7 years old; however, as a little kid I didn't realize what a unique and wonderful city it was. All I remember is going to the Cheers Bar and a statue of a guy riding a horse on the Freedom Trail. The whole weekend Pat and I tried to characterize and compare the city with other places. 

Here are some of the comparisons and descriptions we made:
-It's like a movie set
-It's quite and clean like San Francisco
-It's so charming and quaint
-It's like taking all the best places in New York and putting them within a 3 mile radius
-It's very European
-It's a city with a small town feel

Here are some of the highlights from our trip, in no particular order:

-I LOVED LOVED LOVED how you could get everywhere you wanted to go by foot, and there was absolutely no need to use the subway. 

-The whole weekend we had amazing weather (low 70's) which was a GODSEND for me since being pregnant. We even had a few things planned that I ruled out because I just wanted to be outside all the time. 

-We walked pretty much all of the Freedom Trail, which was perfect for Pat, the history buff. 




Pat ran to the top of this monument at Bunker Hill which did his calves in for the rest of the trip
Site of the Boston Massacre 


-I loved all the architecture and quaint homes. 






-We saw tons of graveyards, which super old grave stones, including Paul's Reveres gravestone (the picture with the penny's). I think graveyards are so cool, especially when they are as old as the ones we saw in Boston. 





-On Sunday we attended the Old North Church, the same church the famous "One if by land, Two if by sea" signal was sent out" by Paul Reveres order to warn the patriots of Boston of the British Army's movements. The church had a unique design with these cool boxed in booths that different families purchased back in the day. On Sunday, we got a box all to ourselves. 




-When visiting a city, the good and bad thing is all the amazing food there is to eat. Boston is no exception this this rule as itt seemed there was not enough meals in the day to eat all the food we wanted. However, the food we did eat was spectacular. The best probably being the Butternut Squash Ravioloi at Giacomo's in the North End, where the Galbraith's live. But then again the Tuna Burger at Legal Seafood was to die for as well. I don't know! IT WAS ALL SO GOOD!




Joanna's all too true Fortune Cookie fortune:
"You will move to a wonderful new home within the year"

-I loved spending time just sitting in the parks with the amazing weather. I particularly loved "Frog Pond" where it was designed to be a shallow pond for kids to play in. Genius!



-We went to the Haymarket where they sell SUPER CHEAP produce. Joanna had mentioned this before, but I didn't realize exactly how cheap was cheap. Even though we didn't have enough time to eat all the fruit we bought, we just couldn't pass up the amazing deals!



-We took a fun little boat ride in the Public Garden. It was powered by a person pedaling a swan. It doesn't get much better than that!!!






-I loved the Harbor. It is always nice to be near water. BOSTON HAS IT ALL!



-But by far the best part of the whole trip was being with our buds, Johnny and Joanna. Staying at their place felt like home because they feel so much like family. 



I loved Boston so much. I wish I could go back every weekend. 


11 comments:

  1. What a fabulous trip! The history buff in me is incredibly jealous of all the site you got to visit...I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes site in U.S. History. I love the feel of the city from your pictures. It looks busy and yet laid back at the same time. And you, my friend, are looking AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay!!! too fun. I love all of the photos! I have yet to go to Boston and this post makes me want to go so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great pictures you took!! You should live here because you would document this city so well! You have such an artistic eye!! We had such a wonderful time with you guys as our guests. You are so fun to have around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for coming to see us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I LOVE Boston! It really might be my favorite city. I love it and you captured it so well! I'm sad we never visited Johnny and Joanna and now suddenly they're leaving! Those galbraiths are always making quick moves!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys have too much fun. So glad you were able to get together with Joanna. Your trip looks amazing. But you look sooooo pretty. Pregnancy suits you my friend. Miss you tons!!! Now, you just have to visit OCK although it is not as exciting as Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boston is my all-time favorite city! We took a DUCK tour while we were there - you drive around in a DUCK, all around the city, and then sail on the Boston Harbor. You should definitely try that the next time! The pictures are beautiful as always! Good luck with the humidity this summer - that's no fun while being preggo! Luckily, September will bring a nice sigh of relief, once the cool air sets in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Boston! And that last picture is quite possibly the cutest picture EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in Boston (well, Lexington) and your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your trip to Boston. Beautiful and amazing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are the cutest pregnant girl ever
    danielle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so with Pat, holidays should be filled with activity and fun and this one looked amazing. So jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...