April 5, 2011

The day that will go down in the books




On Monday, while Pat was at work, Jodi, Jordan and I headed to the Brooklyn Bridge with the destination of Grimaldi's Pizzeria. Grimaldi's is one of the last Coal Oven Pizzeria's around in NYC, so I knew that Jordan needed to have authentic New York Pizza before he left.



The pizza was good but I think the other Coal Oven Pizzeria in the city, Lombardi's, is better on so many different levels. But, since I had never been to Grimaldi's I had to give it a shot, and it will probably be the last.

A few weeks ago I made reservations for us to go see Jimmy Fallon. I have never actually seen a whole episode, since it is on so late, but I thought Jordan would like to see a live taping. We have had bad experiences with trying to see talk shows in the past (we tried to see Ellen when we went to So Cal but it was basically impossible) so I was a little nervous if it would actually come to fruition..but it did and in a big way.

Pat met up with us at Rockefeller and we got our tickets. As we were standing in line to enter the theater Jodi saw some guys scoping out the line, she knew something was up and when they approached us she got excited. They asked Pat and Jordan how well they knew each other. We knew it was something for the show, so we didn't know how to respond because if it meant that they were going to be on TV then they could not know each other at all or be best friends (haha). However, when they said they wanted two guys that knew each other well, we divulged that they were brother-in-laws, they said "Perfect." They escorted us out of the line and had Jordan and Pat sign some paper work and explained what they were going to be doing for the show. At this point I got really nervous for them...they were going to be on National Television!

There were two other guys who they selected as well, who were going to be Jordan and Pat's competition.

Side Note:
BUT GET THIS!!! We found out later that these two guys were Mormon too! What a small world! They probably picked the only 4 guys in the whole audience who were Mormon and asked them to be on TV! I couldn't believe it! One of the guys wen to BYU and knew some of the same people Pat knew. Craziness.


After they had both sets of guys sign the paper work, they took them backstage to practice their bit, while Jodi and I were escorted to our special front row seats. Minute by minute I was getting more and more nervous for them. This didn't seem real!

I was so glad when the bit ended up being towards the beginning of the show, so I didn't have to stay nervous the whole show.

Jimmy called them up on stage and asked them a little bit about where they were from and how they knew each other. Jimmy took a liking to Pat's shirt and said it was giving the viewers at home a seizure.

The name of the segment is called "Competitive Spit-Takes." The point of the "game" is that one person rolls a dice and the dice either lands on the word "spit" or "take." When Pat rolled the dice it landed on "take" which means that he had to read a "Your Momma" joke, while Jordan took a giant gulp of water. After Pat said: Your Momma's so fat when she looks at the menu she says "YES!" Jordan spit water all over his face.

The competition portion of the game is that the other team did the same and then the audience judges the spit. Jordan and Pat totally had it in the bag until the other team got an extra turn and broke the rules. The rules they told them was that you couldn't get close to the other person, so when the other team got and extra turn one of the guys got right in the other person's face and spit on him, which the crowd loved...so...Pat and Jordan ended up losing, but they were ROBBED.

This was really a "Red Letter Day," as my Grandma would say. It is so fun because we can find Pat and Jordan on Hulu where you can watch the clip here:


Many people have commented on Pat opening his mouth while Jordan was spitting in his face. This actually was a strategic move that they decided on previously. They wanted to make it as gross as possible, hoping that would win the 1st place.

The winners got towels while Jordan and Pat got these moist towelettes.

The whole event really made Jordan's trip and was such a blast. I mean, when was the last time you got to spit in someones face on National TV? Pretty spectacular.

We all worked up quite and appetite, so after the show we went to the best food cart in Manhattan. As I mentioned before, Pat and I felt a lot of pressure to show Jodi and Jordan the best of NYC to prove how awesome this city really is (so far this trip we have done pretty well). Jordan has loved the food and Jimmy Fallon really topped it off; however, Jodi thought this food cart food was the best thing she has had so far!


After dinner we walked over to Times Square and stumbled upon yet another movie shoot, but this time there was a much more notable actor, Anjelica Huston. It was weird because you could get so close to her without anyone really caring.


This day was definitely one that we will always remember.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that really does sounds like an AWESOME day! Seriously, Brooklyn Bridge/Grimaldi's, then Jimmy Fallon and actually BEING ON TV, then the best Halal cart, then a celebrity sighting?! That is awesome! Klane and i are so excited to watch the episode of Jimmy Fallon. That is amazing they were chosen to be on TV! I am so excited about this!

    Also, I am so glad that someone else is on my team about Grimaldi's vs. Lombardis. I have always been unimpressed with Grimaldis and think Lombardis is so much better! I think Grimaldi's is horribly overrated! So thank you, I feel validated now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! What brave men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I love that they were picked to be on TV and that the competition were LDS too! I'm impressed with anyone that can handle the pressure of being on tv...I would certainly crack or look completely uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I laughed so hard at that video. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my ex-home teaching partner!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...