What a great day!
(despite the headache it gave to all those who actually tried to commute and go to work)
(despite the headache it gave to all those who actually tried to commute and go to work)
It started to snow yesterday around 9am and didn't let up until this morning. During Primary we open the curtains to show the kids the snow, and they went absolutely BERSERK and started screaming and running around the room in circles (no exaggeration). I couldn't blame them though because I wanted to do the same thing.
I went to bed last night with all intentions of going to work (even though all yesterday I kept telling Pat how I wished I had one more vacation day...just ONE). However, I was awoken at 6am to a text from a coworker telling me all the trains were suspended. Could it be? Could I really have my FIRST snow day EVER!? It was too good to be true, or so I thought.
I thought I was going to have to go into work once the trains started running; however, my work sent an email telling me that I didn't need to come in at all. It was official...it was my first SNOW DAY!
Pat and headed out in the city to see the "damage" the storm had brought. In the middle of several streets sat abandoned cars a buses. Very few cars were actually driving causing the pedestrians to use the streets as their sidewalks. Pat was right-on when he said it felt like "Armageddon."

Some cars were completely hidden by the snow.
(There were a lot parents who were taking their kids sledding)
We made our way through the streets then on to Central Park. Before today I had only experienced Central Park in two seasons: Summer and Fall. I was really excited to see Central Park in the Winter snow.We spent a few hours in Central Park hiking in snow up to our knees. It was so cold and I was exhausted, but EXTREMELY happy. By then end of the 2 hours I felt like my legs were going to give out. I wondered how people were able to hike Mt. Everest (because Central Park and Mt. Everest can definitely be compared).
After we explored snowy Central Park we went to the Le Pain Quotidien Bakery. I have been wanting to go there for ever and today just seemed like THE day. We were a little disappointed when we got their and found out that all their bread and produce was not able to be delivered today because of the snow. This caused the menu to be quite limited. I got porridge (I think my first time ever) and Pat got a Belgium waffle. When the waffle arrived he was extremely disappointed by the size. However, it was the MOST amazing waffle we both have ever had. It was sweet and crunchy, yet chewy. We are definitely going back and BOTH getting waffles.
The rest of the day (it now being 5pm) was spent cuddled up in a warm blanket watching Netflix Instant-Play movies.
I would venture to say this is one of my most favorite days...ever.





















you really captured what it is like when it snows in the city - feels so quiet, almost deserted. It is a whole different feeling.
ReplyDeleteI haven't commented over the break, but I have LOVED all your Christmas posts. It makes me miss the city soooo much! I am so sad we missed the first snow storm in the city! It is so beautiful. I love the pictures you took. Ahhhhh I am so sad we didn't get to see it. But I am so glad you took lots of pictures! And I also wanted to tell you your Christmas Eve/Christmas sounded perfect. :)
ReplyDeletelovely pictures!! :)
ReplyDeleteYou have no idea how much I loved this post, and all your posts during the break, really. I have shown so many people these pictures! My mom loved them!! She especially loved the one of Pat with Frido. Man, I am kind of sad that I missed all of this. By the time we get back, it will be as if it never happened.
ReplyDeleteyou my dear, are soooo talented!!!! I love seeing your pictures!
ReplyDeleteIt is so fun to see all of your winter NYC photos! We went to that restaurant when we were in London & LOVED our dinner. It is so yummy. Glad you guys are enjoying NYC!
ReplyDelete